Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Waiting...Waiting...Waiting

Waiting really is the hardest part. I am not good at waiting. My husband and I are in the process of adopting from Ethiopia. We are hoping to adopt an infant or infant twins. We started the process in September with chosing an agency. Then came the homestudy, where a social worker determines if my husband and I are fit to raise a child. I do find this slightly funny as I am a high school teacher who currently has 13 teenagers pregnant or with childern. One of my students went into early labor because she got into a fight, and my husband and I have to defend and show that we are able to care for a child. I understand the idea behind the homestudy, because there are unethical people out there who take advantage of children; but how many of them spend thousands of dollars and travel half way around the world for one child?

I don't mean to sound bitter, I am glad that there are safeguards, it just is a little absurd to me. But I am happy to jump through any hoop in order to have a child. We have been trying to start a family for over 5 years and it is stressful.

Our process officially started on January 26th when our dossier was sent to the Ethiopian Government. Now we just sit and wait to be matched with a child or children. It is stressful. Tomorrow marks our 8th week of waiting. We are moving up the list a little. There are about 5 families ahead of us waiting for an infant of either gender. I am not sure when the call/email will come. I don't know how I am going to react to the notification. It will be a life altering moment that is unlike any other life changing moment. I can't wait.

No comments: