Monday, June 18, 2007

Fathers



Dear Hubby,

The way our son looks at you makes me melt. I always knew you would be a great father--as you are so kind, gentle, loving, and giving. You longed for a child to hold. I was sorry for so long that biologically I could not give you a child. No longer am I sad or sorry. Minnow worships you and you worship him. He is truly your son in so many ways. I see so much of you develop in Minnow everyday. I am proud that you are his father and you are so obviously his hero. Happy Father's Day.



Dear Daddy,

I don't know what to say to you other than thank you for being the best dad a child could want--I think hubby is going to give you a run for your money though. I have a new appreciation for you as a father as I am now a parent. I get all warm and fuzzy when I watch you with my son as it gives me a peak into how you were with me and my brothers. I know you are proud of me. You deserve so much of the credit as without your guidance I am not sure I would be where I am. You unwavering support--even when I was at my most self-destructive--helped me more than you know. I hope to be as good as a parent as you were. I owe so much to you. I am glad that you are happy now and that my bonus mom has given you the love that you deserve. I love you dad and everything I do as a parent, I model on what I know you did. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I love you dad.

Dear Minnow's Birthfather,

So often birthfathers are forgotten. I am not sure of your circumstances or if you even know that you fathered a child. I have to believe you don't, as I assume (maybe wrongly so) that so few birthfathers know. I wonder how much of you is evident in the child that is now ours. I wonder if you and MA were close. Maybe you were childhood sweethearts. Maybe you were sad when she ran off to the big city from the country side. Maybe you helped her be able to go and do what you all felt best for your soon to be born child. These are all things I do not know that I wish I did. I know that I will more than likely never know. But I owe you thanks as well. I do not know the circumstances of Minnow's conception, but I know that I would like to believe you two young adults loved each other. I don't know how anything else could be the case, as Minnow has so much love in him. He is a happy and smart little boy who is going to make a great impact on the world. I just wanted to thank you for the gift that is our son. We will do our best to raise him to be a great man. He is already on his way and much of that we owe to you. Thank you for the part you played. We will help our son remember you and maybe one day we will be blessed enough to learn more about you.

Thank you,

Minnow's mom and dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely, Dawn :)

I love that you included Minnow's birthfather...I think sometimes we forget there is a birthfather as well as a birthmother.

And you're right, there is nothing hotter than your husband with your child. Makes you melt for sure.

Danielle