Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Fast Food Nation

What a disturbing movie. I am going to have to go out and buy the book now--to really read it. But let me just say that I will never, never, never, eat fast food again--including lunch meat. I was disturbed on so many levels about the fast food industry, its practices and the hold it has on the american consumer. 1 in 4 people will eat at a fast food restaurant today. They will eat food that is loaded with chemicals, artificial smells and flavors, and in some cases feces--but don't worry it is cooked to a high enough temp that most of the gross stuff is killed...sorry but that isn't enough for me. I cannot believe that I have eaten things that really hardly resemble food when you really break it all down. Fast food restaruants in a desire to keep prices low, buy the cheapest ground meat--which looks to be made from a combination of some "decent" meat and a bunch of other scrap and fat.

When did we stop caring what we ate? When did we turn a blind eye and trust that those trying to make a buck have our best interest at heart? When did we decided that quick pre-made food is better than fresh food? I know it has become the Amerian Way. I lived that way for years and for those years I can now look and think that I felt like crap. I have felt the best when I have eaten a lot of fresh and natural food. So, if you are so inclined and would like to see what goes on behind the scenes and what you really are eating rent the movie--or read the book. It will change your mind and will make you look differently at the food that you eat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read that book 3 or 4 years ago -- and I've never forgotten it. It helped us shift to local, organic food whenever possible -- we joined a CSA, which was awesome. That was before we moved...and we REALLY miss it.

Anonymous said...

just watched Fast Food Nation, it's an impactful flick to say the least... earlier today i passed up a sausage mcmuffin because of it. Evidently it is worth passing up fast food for more than health reasons.