Monday, January 22, 2007

Adjustment


I have been doing a lot of thinking about life lately. My life has changed so drastically in the past year. I have a baby. I no longer work. I am now a mom. I am no longer only a wife. Being a mom is an awesome experience and I wouldn't change it for the world, but it makes you think about things that you wouldn't necessarily think about. Time is now really of the essence. We only have a limited amount of time with Minnow before he becomes so independent that he maybe doesn't want to spend time with us--there will be a time when he will want to be with his friends more than he wants to hang out with mom and dad. This is true in so many aspects. The time for hubby and I to be selfish has passed. It is not longer just about us. We are now a family of three and every decision we make has to be evaluated for how it affects Minnow. Even the process of adding to our family has to be evalutated based on what is good for the three of us. I am new at this. The consideration of others when making a decision. Hubby and I have always made decisions--not huge decision--but decisions nonetheless without always consulting each other--now Minnow must come into the frame for every decision.

Finding a balance is important. I don't want to lose myself. I have been really good about not losing myself in my marriage as has hubby. I really want to make sure that I maintain my independence but also make sure that I don't ignore the needs of Minnow. I also have to work harder to make hubby a priority because it would be really easy to forget about him in favor of Minnow. If only I had learned how to juggle.

No comments: