Monday, September 04, 2006

Monday August 21

We went to bed the night before knowing that Gail would be picking us up at 11am to go to Wanna to get our babies. We did not know at this point if Minow was still in the hospital or not. The anticipation was nearly too much to bear. But there we were with our diaper bags and carriers ready to bring the children we have loved from afar into our families--there were 2 other families there with us, also picking up babies. I could hardly think and was completely unable to put toghether any words. Gail picked us up--about 15 min late and we all squeezed into the SUV. We asked about Minow and found out then that he was still in the hospital and that they would be bringing him to Wanna around 12--well as I now know they meant "ethiopia time"; no not the 6 hour time keeping difference, but the "nothing is really done on time" time. We were then also informed that we would be going to immigration with Minow to get his Ethiopian passport and then he would have to go to the hospital. This was hard. I wanted him to be well and we were worried.

We arrived and wanna and were taken to the baby house and we watched as the other 2 families received their babies. It was bittersweet. I was happy for the other families but I was also so very jealous that we were not yet united with our baby. We watched and waited and waited. I took pics of the other families and other babies while we were waiting, but it was growing more and more unbearable as we waited and watched the time past. We were there for nearly 2 hours before Minow was carried in. We only noticed it was him because we asked. NO one was there other than the care givers to explain to us his condition and I was not given him right away. We saw him, but he had spit up so they wanted to change him and I did not have he ability at that moment to articulate that I wanted him and I wanted him right then and there.

Holding him for the first time was absolutely amazing...

He was sick, he looked sick and had a fever. I was worried for him, but was happy to be holding him. My heart just melted and I no longer even thought about how long we had waited to see and hold him. Watching my hubby hold Minow for the first time was also so very amazing. It was the first time that he had ever held a baby and it is so cool that our baby was the first.



We were then whisked off to immigration. This was an experience and part of the process that happens behind the scenes. We had to be there because we were trying to get an expedited passpor for Minow. I have never seen anything like it, people everywhere, just waiting and moving from office to office and lots of business done with nods and handshakes, etc. We never waited in line and we were ushered from here to there and it was hard to believe that anyone actually is ever able to get a passport. I enjoyed it, only because I got to be with my son. I knew that when we were done we would have to leave him in the hospital. I was not looking forward to that. I was not worried about leaving him in the hospital because I knew and accepted that fact that he was still sick and needed more than I could give him, but it did sadden me to leave him, but it was easier than I thought. Part of that is due to he fact that I was not yet attached to him.

We left the hospital hoping that the next day we would be able to bring him home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, THAT was intense. I'm so glad that I already know that this story has such a happy ending.
Steph

5KidMom said...

That is a tough begining!. I'm so glad you have it all written down for Noah to read someday though. It is just another example of how loved and wanted he really was.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story... I've cried over many of your entries, sharing in your experience. I'm following closely, anticipating our future adoption from Ethiopia. Your son is beautiful!

JK

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear more! Especially the new mommy and baby times. I'm so glad that you are all home safe.
Karianne

Fizzle said...

I saw your pictures. Of Noah and of all the children. The Ethiopian countryside. I can't even imagine....

You look great, happy! Congratulations again, Dawn.